Thursday, September 16, 2010

In Which Jana Has an Epic Journey in Search of Books

Today was a weird day. Woke up at 5:30am when my alarm clock was going to wake me up at 6:30 and, get this, did not fall back asleep. Weird. Went to day two of work as a PA. I listened to some Michael Jackson and other dance-in-your-car worthy tunes. Got in just a few minutes early to work. And then potential disaster struck: I was asked to navigate someone to the monorail platform by the Space Needle so we could switch cameramen because the one at the needle shoot wasn't feeling well so the producers wanted him at the hotel so he could rest asap. Well, I knew how to get to the Space Needle. I'd even, luckily, checked to figure out how to get back on I-5 correctly this morning since I got lost last night. However, I had no idea where the monorail platform was. I was pretty sure I could figure it out, but too scared to tell anyone I wasn't 100% sure. Miraculously, I totally found it without looking too stupid. And found us some quick parking that was of questionable legality but did not get a ticket.

Switched drivers, got back, nothing exciting for awhile. Doot doot dooooo, did some work, had some lunch, drove back to the Center to get the show's anchor so he could do a voice over for the commercial and we totally shop talked. Yeah he was in Second City performing for 7 months. Yeah he's on tv. And yes, he too was afraid of theater kid parties in college and was not one of the cool kids. There is hope yet for my life.

Oh yeah, and at lunch I got to hear stories from the Jerry Springer and Steve Wilco shows.

About now I'm really hoping they never, ever read about how star struck I was at meeting people who have actually worked on things I've heard of. I am so glad I had no idea about any of this before I started talking to them. I would have been so terrified to talk to them.

Fun fact: Jerry Springer is one of the nicest guys ever. Apparently he's a really great neighbor too.

And about now you're probably wondering what on earth this story has to do with books, almost there! I left right at 6 and got truckin' home, listening to some Disney on the way. What a fabulous, fabulous day. The drive is like an hour with the traffic. I was getting closish to home and was debating weather or not to go to the library. If you read last night, I was out of books and wanted some new ones. But then I was thinking about it and I have a ton of books on my shelves that I could read - I could finally organize them all! And pick one! Plus I really wasn't sure I remember how to get to the library. My exit is 179...totally tuned back into the exit numbers at the sign for 178 and was like "oh no!!!! must get over!!!" which I did, and got off the exit, no problem.

Then I realized: I had no idea where I was. I got off an exit too early. But, no big deal, right? I can totally find my way through to my apartment. I'd been navigating Seattle and Seatac all day, how bad is Mountlake Terrace? Got totally lost. And then found the library! And was like: sweet. Getting some books. Then I'll just get back on the freeway and go home. So I was looking through the catalog and was like...shoot...I have no idea what I want to read...so I decided to just browse the shelves. So I browsed, and found a promising book, I See You Everywhere, but it wasn't the book, so I kept browsing. And what did I find? There was one Philippa Gregory book left. And it was one I hadn't read! It wasn't The Red Queen, but it was The Other Queen, which I also wanted to read at some point. Score! And then I was like, "But I really wanted to read something more action-y next," so I kept looking a little longer. And guess what I found? The Lost Symbol, the other book I was hoping to get from the library.

What a perfectly marvelous day. But then I got slightly lost on the way home. I had been too lazy to plug my ipod back in and listen to exciting tunes, so I left it on NPR. They were talking about some news, and I was sort of paying attention but mostly lost and frustrated, and I kept hearing that they wanted people to text/email and say where they were while they were listening. They were stationed in England. They mentioned 3 or 4 people who sent stuff in. And one of them was the Kitsap Sun! I was totally in that paper! Yet another sign that I am going to one day be totally famous. Hahaha. But seriously. I know that paper. And they were mentioned on NPR. Ok that's not really cool, I should probably eat dinner before trying to tell any stories because I think my filter turns back on eventually.

And then, full circle, disaster strikes. While walking up the stairs to my apartment I found a SPIDER had built a web across the stairwell!!!!! It was like...a foot above my head...but I tested the air under it with a book or something and the web shook...so it was DEFINITELY NOT SAFE TO GO UNDER! So I went back down the stairs, miraculously found a stick right near the bottom of the stairs, and successfully evaded the spider.

Finis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment