Friday, November 25, 2016

Ready Player One (5)

I hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving. I hope you spent time with family and only screamed about politics a little. If you would like to take a little bit of the edge off of the current national screaming match, perhaps pick up this book and escape into a world where things are even more screwed up. 

Ready Player One

Wade Watts is a poor kid in an ugly time in history. Basically everything has collapsed: the economy, the climate, civilization in general. Fortunately, most people spend all of their time in the vitural world of the OASIS, a free digital utopia where you can hang out with friends, go to school, work, game, the possibilities are endless. Of course, the most exciting part of the OASIS is searching for creator James Halliday's hidden easter egg. Whoever finds it first will inherit James Halliday's entire fortune and control of the OASIS itself. 
 
I just finished the audiobook to this one. I actually listened to it with my husband, which is probably the nerdiest thing we have done. Do other people have the conversation, "Honey, do you want to sit around the house this Friday and listen to Ready Player One?" Or is it just us? 

If you generally are into nerds solving puzzles and going on adventures, you will love this. I was originally told that it's all about 80's pop culture and video games, so I thought I wouldn't be able to follow it and it wouldn't be my cup of tea. And while it is all about 80's pop culture and video games, you can totally follow it even if you know approximately nothing about either. 

BONUS: You have approximately 18 months to read it before you see the movie, which should premiere in spring 2018. 

No comments:

Post a Comment