Thursday, January 19, 2012

Maybe I wasn't ready to knit a blanket

"Psh, I don't need place holders," I thought to myself as I started the blanket. I can just count. Because counting to 115 works out so well. But five rows into a pattern that has 13 stitches followed by a 12-stitch repeating pattern that repeats eight times (or nine, if you somehow mess up your counting by a perfect 12 stitches), I realized that I was being really stupid.

At least I had the brains to try and write down what I was doing. Especially to mark what row I was on, because if I lose track of that I'm screwed.
Well, five rows in I took some old yarn that I just had a foot or two of, and made myself some improvised place markers. SO. MUCH. EASIER.

I also printed out the Umaro chart (28 rows, each with a different knitting pattern) and colored it. So I can actually follow the lines, because by row four or five, it's really hard to tell which row is which.

So this is my advice to you: make your work easier and put some place markers in, just in case. If you're really too good for them and they just annoy you, you can always take them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment